May 15, 2012

There’s Always Room for One More


That’s the saying here for dala dalas and buses (dala dalas are the small minivans that work as buses).  There are seats for people and then the isles for many more people.  No matter how squished you think you are and don’t think there is any room at all, they pull over, open the door, and cram another passenger into the van/bus somehow.  I don’t really understand how it works; although it is a typical occurrence whenever traveling here.  Just this morning on my way to town, I hoped into the crowded dala dala at 6am and was pushed into a tiny space in the isle in the back of the bus.  No seats…so I stood, well tried to stand as the car started moving and I quickly grabbed onto the seats to stay standing.  Then came the 2 hour ride of stop and go stop and go to cram more people on.  The minivan is short so I have to duck the whole way and every bump means my head hits the top and I have to hold onto the seats next to me as strong as I can to stay standing.  Turns out, traveling to town is a great arm workout! Anyways, traveling here still amazes me but I got safely to town…finally. 

Life has been picking up speed since my in-service training and Malaria/ sub-regional training.  I started to teach an afterschool English class three times a week.  I have about 55 kids from classes 3-7 so it’s a wide range of students, especially in literacy.  Many cannot read or write, which is proving to be difficult, but they are all so eager to learn.  It’s hard to say no to adding more students when they’ve been at school since 730am and I teach from 4-515ppm and many don’t even go home to eat at all.  So I figure if they’re that dedicated to stay and try to learn English, it’s worth the extra work to try and read they’re “writing.”  And I absolutely love it! The kids are always so happy and excited and I have a lot of fun.  Not really sure how much of a difference I will make in their English skills since we are starting from the very beginning basics, and like I said many can’t read or write, but either way were all having fun and enjoying it.

April 25th was World Malaria Day.  I worked with my CCA, community change agent, who does Malaria education within my ward (ten villages are in my ward).  We played a game with all the kids at the primary school.  Classes 6 and 7 played a game like sharks and minnows but it was mbu (mosquitoes) and vyadarua (mosquito nets).  A few players in the middle were mosquitoes and the ends of the soccer field were the safe spots under mosquito nets. They had to run to the other end of the field and if the mosquitoes tagged them they became mosquitoes in the middle.  They had a great time! Ill post pictures and videos on Facebook.  After the game we had a discussion on how Malaria is transmitted and that mosquitoes need to keep biting infected people to spread Malaria. So we stressed that not only does sleeping under a net help prevent Malaria from you, but also helps your friends and family from getting it as well.  After the game, I worked with my after school English class on a Dream Banner.  We asked the kids what they wanted to be when they were older.  There were many responses similar to kids back home- doctors, nurses, teachers, pilots, farmers, etc.  Then I passed out crayons (thanks for the crayons mom) to draw themselves as what they wanted to be.  They loved it and had so much fun using the crayons (a great package idea for anyone sending me packages!).  Then I discussed how prevent themselves from getting Malaria helps keep them healthy and able to work hard/go to school to accomplish their dreams.  I told them to take the pictures home and hang it on their nets to remind them to use their nets every night to reach their dreams.  Not sure how many will actually hang them with their nets, but it was also a great discussion to get them thinking about their futures too.  When doing my house to house surveys in my first few months, one question was about plans for people and their families for the future and it was shocking how awkward that question was.  Most people did not understand it or couldn’t give a response for future plans.  The majority of those that did answer said their plans were having food for their families.  So I think it’s good to start emphasizing and reflecting on dreams early with my students.  Anyways, we didn’t learn any English that day, but I think we had a fun and eventful World Malaria Day.

Within less than a week, I went to a wedding and a funeral.  Both were great experiences to learn more about Tanzanian culture and I was glad to be invited to both occasions.  The wedding was for a girl that lives next door to me.  I was kept up all night by people singing and playing the drums and did not know what the celebration was until early that next morning when many people were out singing and shouting.  I was slightly upset since not only did I not sleep well the night before, but then people were yelling outside my house and often shouting my name as well.  I got up to see what all the commotion was about and many young women told me to go next door to get pico (hair dye they use as nail polish and artwork on the body like henna).  Still a bit out of it I decided to take the morning to do stuff around my house and then joined the singing and drum playing next door.  All the men were sitting on the opposite side of the house as the women.  However, most of the younger men and women were singing and dancing around the drums, while the bibi and babu (grandmothers and grandfathers) sat around but on different sides of the house.  The bride was inside, which when I arrived a few mamas grabbed me to take me inside the house to see the bride.  She was sitting on the ground, facing the door, pico drawn all over her body, head covered with a shawl, and had makeup on.  She looked beautiful and they lifted the shawl to show me her face.  I congratulated her and she nodded.  I don’t think the brides can talk or smile until after they leave the house with the groom.  I went back outside to sit with my bibi and watched everyone celebrating.  Alcohol was being passed around in a cup and jug.  The local pombe, alcohol, is made from the fruit from cashew trees, smells awful, and is really strong. I don’t know this because I’ve tried even a sip, but because it smells appalling and makes people inebriated out of their minds.  Anyways, after a while, I was brought back in the house with the bride and many bibi and watched the groom and bride walk out of the house together and then the parade of people following with the drums, and signing, and dancing.  I joined in the dancing a bit which was nothing more than just a slight hip swaying since there were so many people packed together, but it was fun and everyone was happy to see me joining in.  The parade of people went all around the village with the kids all running in front of the drum players, and everyone else singing and dancing behind.  I walked over to watch some mamas cooking the biggest pot of ugali I have ever seen.  They dug three trenches to place firewood under a pot that was about 2 feet in diameter and had two of these going.  Once the water was boiled, corn flour was added to the pot, and two women with extremely long wooden spoons stirred together.  The cooking process of ugali is a workout that I have not mastered, and with a pot this big, once the flour becomes a sticky glob, it is extremely difficult to stir; therefore, women were switching off turns.  I told them I would try with a smaller pot again, but not attempt that huge pot until I mastered cooking ugali in a smaller pot.  Once the ugali and vegetables (greens and beans) were prepared, communal plates were passed around for everyone in groups of about 10.  I ate inside the house with the same bibi again.  By now people were pretty hammered and one bibi even started dancing extremely sexually to see my reaction, which was pretty funny.  After we ate, there was more dancing, singing, drums, and drinking.  Then we all walked to the groom’s house, about a 4 min walk within my village.  There was more dancing, drinking, drums, singing, and another round of ugali that I passed up on. Oh, and there was this absolutely awful drink that they love to drink for special occasions.  I forget what it actually is but it’s something with cassava and they put it in a bucket and basically wait until it tastes like sour milk.  And they love this stuff! I’ve tried it once before and tried it again at this wedding, but with only one tiny sip, my mouth tastes like I just vomited and didn’t rinse out my mouth. So that was lovely.  After a while, group dancing began to form in a circle around the drums.  I was convinced to join in their dancing and had a lot of fun.  The main movements were walking a few steps in a large circle, turning inward to face the drums, shake your hips a bit, and repeat.  And the crowd just absolutely loved watching me attempt this.  At some point people would run across the circle to almost grind on someone else so people loved singling me out.  Another type of dance started that involved more foot moves but was super simple as well.  Overall, it was tons of fun to join in, learn their dances, attempt and look stupid, but all laugh and have a good time.  After a while of these dances, people broke up and returned to their houses.  I have no idea where the bride or groom went after I saw them exit the house, so not sure if they partake in any of the dancing or drums.  So over all, not too different that weddings back home- singing, dancing, lots of food, lots of drinking, and everyone having a good time!

Funerals, on the other hand, turned out to be very different than funerals I have experienced back home.  My mama told me about a funeral in the neighboring village one night and asked if I wanted to go.  I asked if it would be ok, and after she said yes, double checked I would need to where a khanga, piece of fabric wrapped over a skirt, and cover my head.  She said yes, and I made sure she’d help me with covering my head since I have not done that at all.  So the next morning, a group of women and my mama came to my house, and my mama helped me wrap another khanga over my head.  It was a funny site for everyone in my village since I rarely even where a khanga over my skirts.  So we walked to the next village over and then sat outside a house with all the other women.  Men were sitting a little ways off under some trees.  All the women had their heads covered and were sitting outside the house, keeping their babies under control, and chatting amongst themselves.  I kept waiting for something to start or happen.  However, for about two minutes, a group of younger men passed in front of the house, I barely heard some talk where all the older men were sitting and where the other men walked to, then the men that walked by returned to wherever they came from, and that was it.  We got up to leave, and a few stayed behind to enter the house and see the body.  Apparently it was a four year old child.  I have no idea who the parents or family even were.  On the walk back, I explained how funerals often are in America.  She was surprised to learn that most people wear all black, unlike the bright and mismatching khangas here.  I also told her how men and women sit together, there are often speakers who talk about the deceased, and then people follow the casket out and to the grave.  I told her too that most of the time people are not speaking and remain silent.  She told me only men follow the body to the grave, but that women often will sing together and do not remain silent. Also, it was weird to have such a disconnection from the whole thing- not knowing the child that passed away or even who it was until after we left, not seeing or knowing the family at all, sitting outside of the house listening to women chat about everyday things, and not having any unified announcement or statement at all.  It was weird, but a cool experience nonetheless.

Speaking of funerals, the whole idea of the mgonjwa, sick patient, is interesting.  People are always going to visit sick people.  They will walk miles to go and visit someone who is ill just to make an appearance.  My friend Fatuma probably wins at visiting the most sick patients.  I feel like every day she goes somewhere, often other villages and sometimes even on pricey bus rides to town, just to visit sick people.  I have done my share here and there.  It mostly consists of saying pole, sorry, and sitting around.  Once I went to visit a relative of the chief, my baba (father), who was a child that had severe Malaria and was having convulsions.  I sat inside the house with the women, said my greetings, said pole to all the family members, and then listened to the women chatting about everyday things.  After awhile you leave.  It’s simple, yet I think its cool how people don’t just send a card or email to say sorry, but actually make the effort to show their support.  Often people have to walk long distances, pay for transportation, and spend time away from their farms in order to make their appearances.  For the many times I cannot attend these visits with my friends or simply don’t know the patients, you have to say pole to the person that is going to pay the visit.  I don’t think there is a day that goes by where someone doesn’t come to greet me, then tell me they’re going somewhere to salamia mgonjwa, say hello to a sick patient, and then I respond with a simple pole.

Anyways, on a less gloomy note, I finally think I have the ball rolling on some projects.  I contacted the District AIDS Coordinator in town and had a meeting with him to set up free condom distributions.  He works with an organization Masasi Youth Development Network, which involved peer education with youth.  So I met someone from that organization who said I could get free condoms to start a youth peer education program.  So came back with a giant box of 6000 condoms.  People came to my door to ask for condoms within 5 minutes of me getting off my bus so there is definitely a demand.  I spoke with many youth about setting up a meeting to choose two youth, one male and one female, to help be peer educators in teaching how to use condoms effectively and distributing them.  So hopefully this week we will choose two educators, and then I will train them, then they can distribute to everyone within the village.  I also met with a guy from the Aga Khan Foundation, which is an organization that does small community based loan groups at the village level.  They provide trainings for village members to set up groups, elect leaders within groups, write a constitution, how loans and shares work, how to pay back loans, etc.  They also provide boxes with books to keep track of spending and 3 separate locks to ensure security within the groups.  They have a very high success rate and it is a great program to provide a place to save and have access to small amounts of money when most people cannot afford going to town to go to the bank, let alone have enough to put in a bank and take out loans.  Also, unlike banks, they are completely accountable for the members in their groups.  They will be coming tomorrow to speak at my big village meeting to start the group formations.  Today in town, I also met with the District Water Engineer about potential water projects.  He described how the only source of water was from my ward village, about 6-7  kilometers away from my village, and that we would need an energy source to get the water from the source to the holding tank that is there, and then pipes running from the tank all the way to my village.  So…that’s not really feasible moneywise but we’ll see.  Other options are drilling a well, which requires quite a bit of money as well to get someone to do a land survey and measure the water table, then the cost of drilling, and then the cost of a hand pump.  The last option is rain water catchment which would be much cheaper, but would not be enough to last throughout all the dry months in the year.  Right now there are a few “wells” in my village which are just deep holes they have dug that holds rain water.  When that runs out, which rainy season is now over, they have to bike to the ward village to chota maji, fetch water.  So it is a huge problem since I feel the “wells” they have now are even too far and have too little water.  So I plan to discuss these ideas with the village leaders this week to see our options. 

Tomorrow I have a big village meeting planned.  It has been a pain in the ass to get a meeting with everyone due to the two separate sub villages and some local government communication issues.  But after bringing this up at a ward level meeting, and going to the mwenyekiti, chairman, and mtendaji or VEO, village executive officer’s house a million times last week, I got the official date for tomorrow afternoon.  The Aga Khan Foundation guy and my CCA (malaria ed guy) will both be coming as well.  I am planning on having the village members vote on a project committee to select 3 men and 3 women from both of my sub villages.  Then, with a smaller number or people, we can select which project to begin with, make a timetable, and work on the grant writing and project details together.  Hopefully, this goes well and we can start on a project.  Also going to mention the various groups and committees we can start based on the areas of interest I saw during my Village Situation Analysis and house to house surveys.  I am hoping that people will acknowledge their interest in various groups and talk with the project committee or myself to start forming different groups ( i.e. health club, PLWHA, farmers group)  So we’ll see how tomorrow goes!

Other than teaching and planning for meetings, I have really enjoyed the women’s soccer team my village started.  There is a team in each sub village and all week we have been practicing with scrimmages against each other and mazoezi, exercises such as running and stretches.  It has been so fun to play soccer again, bond with the young women, and have some others to work out with- although their mazoezi is not exactly a great workout.  I also finally started running in my village since I have been back from my trainings and really am enjoying that.  People think it’s weird but great that I am running and I have many people tell me hongera, congrats, while I am working out. 

Other random updates on this book I am writing today…found and had my mama kill another bat in my house, started a compost pile with a few boys, enjoy my nightly ritual of staring at the amazing millions of stars that are visible since there is no electricity in my village, garden is good so getting greens everyday and lots of cucumbers, going to plant a lot more things once the lettuce and cucumber die out and I redo my beds, went to town today with James and Charlotte to have a little break and American time and got 5 packages at the post office- so excited to open them!!  Although things have been very stressful with getting this meeting set up, I have been really enjoying furthering my integration with village members and really having fun with teaching.  I am excited to have my meeting tomorrow as well and will hopefully get even busier with project plans. 

I know my communication has not been great with most of you and that is super hard since I miss you all so much! Sorry for the book I have written for this blog post and I know I left out lots but hopefully this gets you all caught up a bit.  I love and miss you all and hope you are all happy and healthy.  Keep sending letters and love! xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment